View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Blind Defense Stop and Goes

I don't get it. Sounds like everyone else thinks there's some merit to this line, so I'm probably off base. So please help. But here's how I see it.

PREFLOP: Nothing wrong with a call here. Or a raise or even a fold for that matter.

FLOP: Gold. Couldn't be a heck of a lot better, really. Ok, so how do we extract the max? Bet out! Great. I love it. CO could well think you're just taking a stab at a ragged flop and give you some action with his any 2 steal. Bingo! He raises. Ok. Maybe 3-bet? Nah, that'd allow him to call and fold on the turn unimproved. We want to extract more than 1 SB more out of this thing. Smoothcall. Nice. Now you're primed for the turn check-raise, which he could even call with just something like KQ or KJ. And if an A or Q flops, you can always slow down.

TURN: Ok, so here's where you lose me. You bet? Why? If I'm CO I fold my KJ or KQ or K9 or 75 that I was about to bluff bet with pretty quick when you make that bet. In fact, I'm not calling with much less than a flush draw given this ugly board. What else would he call with that you're ahead of here -- maybe middle pair? That's about it. So what you've done, it seems to me, is set up a situation where you extract the LEAST when you're ahead and stand to lose the most (if he raises the turn) if you're behind.

Like I said, though, very good posters seem to think this is not so bad, I'm just not sure why. Please explain.