View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 10:49 PM

Default JTs 6-max, top pair

After a stint at Paradise Poker in which I ran pretty well, I'm stopping at PokerStars for a bit until I hit the elusive $500 mark. So far, so good. I've been playing the 6-max tables at PokerStars which are surprisingly soft. I'm just checking to see if I'm playing a few hands correctly.

Reads: UTG is loose before the flop and generally passive after the flop. I have seen him bet middle pair before however.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Preflop, I think this raise can be for value and it can also buy me the button.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

UTG bets. I wasn't sure what to do here, but it's possible I can have the best hand. I raised to protect my hand and possibly for value. I think it's the only good play here. Calling doesn't protect my hand, and if I'm ahead it's a huge mistake. In retrospect, I like the turn bet, and I think the river bet can be for value here. Another line would be to bet the turn and check the river through. Which line should I take here?

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>