View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Screen Scraping Is The Only Way To Go

I didn't intend to imply that it would necessarily be catastrophic.

I haven't analyzed the Party window with Spy++...has anyone else? I'm curious if you can read the button text directly through the Windows API in order to determine the amount of a raise, etc...assuming you were taking on the ridiculous NL bot task.

Perhaps I'm too much of a purist. To imply that a piece of software reading all of the pixels has the same information a human being has, is obviously correct...but to assume that a computer has the same interpretation in all circumstances, is not. Human beings have the ability to decipher things that are familiar, in completely different formats. A simple example being, if the buttons were moved to the top, they're still there...but software is looking for them in a different place. If the cards were displayed completely reversed, humans would still instantly recognize the card...not so for software.

All I'm saying is that, from a commercial software programmer's point of view, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my house while a bot that's based on pixel mapping is playing hands on my bankroll.