View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Table Selection For Newbies

Hi everyone. I have been having some troubles with my game at 1/2 and 2/4 and have made an adjustment that really seemed to help me out.

Previously I have selected the table by picking the one with the highest average pot size. I would jump on the wait list on several and then finally sit at the one that came up first.

The problems that I would run into would be several VP$IP 70+ super maniacs ramming and jamming like crazy. These are the people that Poker Tracker Rates as "Gamblers" with the dice icon. This caused me personally a couple of problems. First the variance in a game like that is extreme. When I would be in a big inevitable downswing I would lose confidence due to my lack of experience. The other bad side would be me going a bit on tilt thinking "Man these guys are crazy, I need to play more pots so that I can take their money." This was no good.

Granted I had only played 500 hands or so and was down only down 15 BB but it hurt my confidence and was making it difficult to play.

Lately, I have been scrolling down a couple of pages and picking tables with lower average pot. I set up Poker Tracker to data mine four tables for 15-20 min then choose a couple to wait list. I am looking for VP$IP>30 and more specifically 2 or 3 fish icons.

The main difference is that the passive fish are much easier for me to play against. The key word is: passive.

Man this is longer than I intended it to be. Let me restate my main point: If you are having some troubles at the big average pot sized tables (like me) maybe you should try scrolling down a page or two. You may end up with a more passive table that will be easier to play.

Comments?