View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: party 30/60 hand I\'m not happy with

"If one decides to wait for the turn to raise, I am not sure that an overcard on the turn should dissuade us from raising; in fact, it may give us more reason to raise i.e. the flop bettor will often follow through with a bet regardless of whether the turn card hit him and there is reason for him to think that the turn overcard hit you (if you raise the turn) given that you just called the flop on a board bereft of draws"

I find this works quite well (B&M games). Especially head-up, where they're more likely to continue to bet on the turn no matter what comes. Here there's another opponent to consider, but the fact that he didn't raise when an ace came is a factor in favor of continuing the plan to raise the turn.

The problem, though, is that the overcard that came is an ace. Guys play lots of hands with aces in them. My experience is that a continuation bet into an overcard on the turn when it is an ace is more likely a hand that either was helped by or doesn't fear the ace than when the overcard is something other than an ace.