View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Hot Air For Africa

I agree with the general point that problems that some see as simply economic, racial, or technical also have a political component. This is not to say that there are not indeed economic, racial and technical problems, but certainly bad government is rampant in Africa.

Gates seems to believe that technology and money can solve a lot of Africa's health problems. He's probably right. This doesn't mean that he doesn't believe better government will also have an effect. But money Gates has given recently innoculated 42,000,000 African kids against hepatitis. He is powerful enough, well enough connected, and rich enough to have an impact irrespective of the efficacy, or lack thereof, of the African governments.

I do disagree with Taki's point, though, that it is wrong to criticize the rich countries for not caring enough to try to solve Africa's problems, especially health problems. Sklansky made the same point on the philosophy forum not long ago, urging posters to read the New Yorker article about Gates's efforts to combat malaria in Africa. Mosquito nets cost about $4 apiece and, properly treated with insecticides,, can go a long way toward saving lives. Our government could save a lot of lives securing these nets, instead of, for example, building the bridge to "nowhere" in Alaska.

So as not to misunderstand my point, I'm not saying people are starving or dying in Africa only because the rich countries don't care. Certainly they're starving and dying because their own governments don't care either.