View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Nate in the trib

[ QUOTE ]
well damn, it makes sense now...

go PECOTA go [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

is it easy to get involved in this online baseball writing/analysis business?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey we've got a best-selling book out there too. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Not just online.

In some sense the analytical baseball writing (er... sabermetric) community is a meritocracy. I had a pilot of PECOTA done before I ever contacted the BP guys ... Keith Woolner was building awesome stats like VORP on his own website long before BP found him ... Will Carroll had built his own newsletter with quite a substantial subscription base before we recruited him, and so forth. There aren't a lot of barriers to entry and it's very easy to create your own blog, produce your own studies, and so forth.

The flip side is that there are an awful lot of voices out there, and sometimes the more eloquent and intelligent among them get lost amidst the din. I'm fairly certain that there is a lot of great work out there that isn't known or appreciated because its creators have not had much success at (or much concern with) promoting themselves.

I'm also fairly certain that there are a couple of dozen people on 2+2 who could do some really good work if they set their mind to it. A LOT of the BP guys are pretty good poker players, and there are a LOT of overlaps between the two fields.