Thread: Facing reality
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Facing reality

"Almost every game or hobby I ever tried was based on individual one on one type competition..."

So you've always liked heads up competition, don't you?

"...to 'work harder' in poker is to primarily do nothing; ie, to fold, whereas in every other thing I've tried, working harder almost always means being more aggressive and doing more."

In heads-up poker, 'working harder' also means 'being more aggressive and doing more'. In other words, when it comes to mindset, heads-up/shorthanded poker is closer to 'every other thing' you've tried than it is to ring game poker (where 'to work harder' means to fold).

"...I may have to stop playing due to the fact that I may simply not have the mindset..."

No, don't stop playing! Focus and channel your STRENGTHS on shorthanded/heads-up play instead. And learn to handle the bigger swings that you WILL encounter there with a SMILE on your face! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In short, I don't know how many times you play ring games versus shorthanded. But my suggestion is, whatever that ratio is, find a way to play more shorthanded and heads up.