Thread: Media Bias Wars
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: All text is bias and bias is good

[ QUOTE ]
We should jettison the concern about "bias" as something that's bad in itself, something usually shows itself as a right-wing canard, often to the point of self-parody.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect you didn't read the responses; most of the replies have been in favor of just this. That is, abandoning discussions about bias as something we should be overly concerned about, or something that we should even bother to seek to correct.

[ QUOTE ]
We need to avoid and guard against demonstrably contradictory, irrational, illogical, and factually-unsupportable ideas. Saying that we should avoid "bias" is like saying we should avoid "understanding."

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Read the responses in this thread by BGC, adios, and myself.

[ QUOTE ]
We should also be wary of using terms like "liberal" or "conservative" as if these defined some sort of spectrum of rational or legitimate attitudes. These terms often ignore or conceal actual relations of power, and can therefore both be used to legitimate or undermine power relations as the writer wishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a fine topic for another thread; but for what it's worth, I agree that 'conservative' and 'liberal' have been raped of their original meanings, leaving nothing but vapidity in its stead. Having said that, they have colloquial meanings which facilitate political discussions.