View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Chess: want to get better fast

I'm only USCF 1775 or something...not that strong, and I probably don't play at that level anymore. I was really motivated then [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think that the quick games will help him identify the quick tactics and general pattern recognition. He said get better fast too, which is why I don't think he's going to have time to play as much G/60 as he'd like [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I agree it'd help him more, so maybe once a week he can get to a chess club in person, play a game and have a better player go over it with him after playing it. I think that may help him out quite a bit. I guess I did play against a lot of older players at my developmental stage, but they were all 1000 strength excepting one 1400 that was getting ver yold and infirm.

Popin, if you make an FICS account and want to go over a game or two you can PM me or post here, I'd be more than willing to give a little help.

Yugo, I do appreciate counterpoints here...I think I'm a pretty rare case as far as learning chess goes. I at least used to have something resembling a photographic memory and therefore remembered a lot of the lines rather well.

Good luck Popin, I guess....now that we're off track [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]