View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: genius or insanity? maybe a stupid river move. 2/4 8/B

On ther river, most players at 2/4 will call two bets cold with kings up unless an opponent has a 4 flush or 4 str8 showing. So if you had not made two pair on the river, this would have been a brilliant play, as you might have stolen half the pot with a pair of sevens, getting a pair of kings to fold, and you could easily muck if the king called. I would favor check calling here with the two pair, since I think a pair of kings will definitely call one bet but prob. not two and kings up will probably call two, thus you usually save a bet or gain 1/2 a bet with two small pair.

i agree w/mscaqs that this is a good play when used appropriately - you shouldn't try this often especially against the same players ..it's especially risky when you're in middle position because you would be the one raising and then would then be forced to call another bet should the king fold and the maniac have a low hand or a good high hand. Of course if he just calls, he might have no low and a smaller pair. Usually, however you are playing for only half the pot and would have to commit three bets to steal half = very unfavorable pot odds. I might try it if the pot was very large and had a good read. I think that first position with the maniac in the middle and the passive in last position is a great time to try it because it only costs you single bet.

btw, what does W/T stand for?