View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Open pushing with ~10M

Overall I think you make some good points, but I have a few bones to pick.

First of all, one glaring absence from your post is... the other players! When you open a pot on the button regardless of your holding you have to consider who is in the blinds. If there are very aggro players in the blinds, I'd be much more likely too push something like a small pair, whereas if they are passive id just make a small raise.

Secondly, I think this is real bad: [ QUOTE ]
That being said, I often think pushing with TT-QQ and AK/AQ here can often be the best play

[/ QUOTE ]

With 15 bbs or 20 bbs, I think you are missing out on an insane amount of value by raising all in here with QQ. Mainly for reasons stated above. If there is a very aggro big blind, WHY let him off this easy, if he would resteal with A9o otherwise?

Overall I just see a lot of words, but no real explanation here: [ QUOTE ]
Pushing all in: Adding 10%+ to your chip stack is never a bad thing, but there is the question of how often you're ahead when called. I will admit the push with 88 was a bit of a frustration push, and was probably wrong. That being said, I often think pushing with TT-QQ and AK/AQ here can often be the best play. You would be surprised how often you are called by a weaker holding, and even when you are called you often end up in a coin flip situation. With ~10M in the middle-late stages of a tournament (by this, I usually mean about half way through the second hour until the bubble period) I'm not terribly upset to be involved in probably coin flips. I generally don't like flipping a lot during a tournament, but between 5M-10M I'm generally okay with taking a flip for all my chips in these stages, and I'm not terribly upset to add 10%+ chips to my stack as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you push with AQ for 18 big blinds, you think AJ calls more often than it reraises if you had just made it 3x? That definitely just isn't true.

Overall I like the concept of your post, in that you should be overbetting all in sometimes, but I don't really think some of the hands you said it with are applicable, or really make much sense.