Thread: Q9s hand
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Q9s hand

[ QUOTE ]
At short, I'd say you're probably ahead. If the problem is the kicker, well, you knew it PF already..

[/ QUOTE ]
My thinking with that flop was that I was probably ahead with my queen, but also being in the big blind I could credibly represent the deuce. So I thought about it and moved in. The preflop-raiser folded, but the other player called me with AQ. I lost the hand and was eliminated.

There is something wrong with my thinking here, but I can't quite put my finger on it. If I'm trying to represent the deuce, surely a checkraise would be better than just moving in (especially as my stack was almost double the pot). More importantly, if I thought I likely had the best hand, why was I trying to bluff? If anything I should be making a small bet hoping to get called, right? If I do have the best hand, someone who calls me probably has only two or three outs (but six with AK).

If my hand had been 87s, then my play of moving in from the big blind on the Q22 flop might have made sense: my opponents would have to think I could have a deuce, and fold lots of hands they could have which beat me (such as any pocket pair, any ace, maybe even a queen like QJs). Yet I don't think the play would even have occurred to me if my hand had been 87s. My question is, suppose that given these players and the circumstance, moving in with 87s as a pure bluff would have been correct. Does that necessarily mean that moving in with Q9s is also correct, or were there other options with greater EV?