Thread: Stupid Laws
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Stupid Laws

[ QUOTE ]
I got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt today. Which makes me think, there seem to be three types of laws.

1. Direct laws against doing something (murder, rape etc).
2. Laws to protect people from themselves. Seat belts, drugs etc
3. Laws that stop people from doing things that could make them do something that's already illegal under type 1 - public drinking, guns etc

It's getting to the point where ... government has become a parent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those #2 laws are called "paternal laws". I hate them too.

[ QUOTE ]
I say scrap everything that falls into category 2 or 3 - I'm sick of being treated like a child.

[/ QUOTE ]

#3 laws are for protecting people from other people -- and I like them very much. I want it to be illegal for YOU to get drunk & drive & significantly increase the risk that you will kill me & my family. I want it to be illegal for you to bring a loaded gun on a plane, where who knows what you might do with it.

But, as for #2 laws, I think everyone should have the right to hurt themselves (after a certain age).

[ QUOTE ]
If I get into an accident with a guy and I'm at fault, I might have to pay his medical bills. I'd be upset if I realized I was paying ten to fifty times more than necessary because he didn't take the two seconds to put his seatbelt on.

[/ QUOTE ]

The law should/could be written, then, so that you only pay the portion of the damage that you are responsible for (had the other person been acting responsibly). So, he should be able to not wear his seatbelt, realizing that he will be responsible for any increase in damages that result by not wearing one.