View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Re: When in history did atheism become the only choice?

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is, at what point could intelligent people begin to infer that God is just made up? What breakthroughs made it possible? Or have there always been atheists who didn't have the answers, but suspected the 'all powerful Superdaddy/Sky Fairy' theory wasn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it so far, DS has said that we still haven't come far enough to say for certain and there are certainly many intelligent people who still believe in God for whatever reason.

I believe that the only litmus test that we've seen semi-articulated so far was David's contention that if computers can become conscious then God will be much less likely to exist.

The consciousness side hasn't been nailed down yet, but I think that he made his general point fairly clearly.

As to the rest of your questions, we still don't have the definitive answers to most of them, but we do have much more useful answers than we used to.

I can certainly understand your position, but you still need to make sure that you are not one now taking a leap of faith into what we don't know yet, but will discover.

Just keep your hat on and you know we'll get there eventually.