View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 04:15 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Need something more suitable for online play than SSHE

[ QUOTE ]
if you're really going to get heavily into which players at the table play loose/tight passive/aggressive "timid vs. calling stations" and how tables aren't loose, players are, frankly i would skip huge sections of SSHE and get more advanced books, and you are correct that the charts should be considered quite situational.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you shouldn't skip huge sections as much of it is still relevant. Especially in multiway situations. How hard is it to notice a calling station and timid players at your table? This is difficult? Please.

[ QUOTE ]
i think about games alot and look at charts in between games to make sure i haven't wavered from them completely. and i know where to get different charts for different games.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems you are too hung up on the charts. I think even Ed mentioned when the book came out he'd rather have not put the charts in there because he figured (correctly) that many would focus on the chart and not the 'whys' of the way preflop hands are valued.

Eventually you should be able to ask yourself why you are playing a certain hand a certain way preflop. It's a very basic question. The answer shouldn't be, 'because the chart says I can...' If you're not past that, I'd suggest studying preflop even more rather than just using the crutch of a chart.

[ QUOTE ]
but then i see people who think they are good players playing miles and miles away from any chart would suggest....

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of these players understand preflop beyond just a chart. Good players don't rely on a chart. They look at the situation presented to them and adjust accordingly.

b