View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: A problem with some religous views

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"we are all guilty of sins, those who believe can get redemption and those who don't believe have no chance of redemption and will be punished"

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with the form. Those who don't believe have a chance to believe. Instead, just say those who don't believe will not take part in God's provision of forgiveness, not that they don't have a chance.

[ QUOTE ]

So either I am being deceived by my feelings of right and wrong, god isn't good, or that religous view is mistaken.
Any flaw in the logic?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a fundamental difficulty with saying God isn't good. The problem is if He is God He can be subject to no other standard of good. So I'm not going to agree with this conclusion.

I think you are right when you say you are being deceived by your feelings of right and wrong. This is really the other side of the above. If you and God disagree on what's right, you have to be wrong. There's no alternative.

But God's rightness isn't arbitrary. Part of your problem is not understanding the true nature of sin. God does not punish more that is just. He usually punishes far less. The Bible says He is compassionate and patient. The reason it may not seem so is because we take a very light view of sin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm struggling a bit with your repsonse. As far as I can tell you agree the argument is logically valid but disagree that the statement reflects your religious view - is that correct?

chez