View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: When do you break the first rule of the Fight Club?

My feeling on this is that I will certainly tell friends who have an interest in getting serious about poker. I'd also be willing to tell a random pleasant-seeming person I meet if they express an interest in finding sources for improving their poker. This person is interested enough that he'd probably find some good info eventually in any case, and I don't feel the need to be a jerk about it.

I think it's probably a bad idea to talk about 2+2, or poker books, or what's the correct play, etc. at the table for two reasons. The less important of the two is that it will increase the number of skilled opponents. Probably only a few who had no idea there was useful guidance out there would really be serious enough to check it out anyway. I think the more important reason is "don't tap the glass," not so much because we don't want fish to improve their games but mostly because a fair number of people who are playing mostly for fun are going to be turned off if they get the idea that they are playing against people who expect to beat them and view them as suckers. Lots of casual players will accept losing and come back for more as long as they feel like it's fun. Most people do not like to be made to feel stupid though, and giving them the idea that they're playing against sharks who consider them easy pickings may very well drive a lot of them away.

Great subject title, BTW [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]