View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Pokertracker = maintained sanity

I am a new player and have only tracked about 2650 hands in pokertracker. A little over a week ago I started to play on Party and was up about $100 playing mostly .5/1 and then lost most of the $100 playing 1/2. My first reation was "I suck", "I'm an idiot", etc, etc. Then I found myself thinking "I never seem to hit a set with my pocket pairs". Off to pokertracker. I found some problems with specific hands like K-10o, but I also found that of the 2650 hands I had a pocket pair 159 times which I think is about right. Of the 159 I made a set 13 times and of those 13 times 5 were lost to a flush or straight. Of the 5 sets lost to a flush or stright 2 were Kings.
The norm for making a set is 1 in 7.5
159 / 7.5 = 21.2
Well, I'm 8 under average for making a set and it also seems that winning 8 of 13 when making a set is a little low also.
By having pokertraker to see this it has restored a little of my lost confidence. I still have plenty to work on in developing my skills, but it sure is nice to know that part of the short term issue is just variance. I also know that 2650 hands is less than a drop in the bucket, but it sure helps to be able to look at things objectively and not have to wonder what is going on.

Does anyone have any kind of winrate % that you should have when completing a set?