Thread: river bet?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: river bet?

[ QUOTE ]
one of those derb type players (but noticeably tighter on the later streets) i.e. 30/19/2 or fairly loose aggressive open raises in MP1, button who is even looser 35/24/2 3bets on the button and i call in the sb w/ AcJc bb folds MP1 caps we both call.

flop is 9c7c3s i cold call (mistake #1 imo) mp1 calls.

turn is horrible Ah i check MP1 bets button calls i call.

river is a 5h. i bet.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop action is very unclear...I assume you check, MP1 bets, Button raises, you cold call and MP1 calls. I think your cold call is fine.

Turn is an A, a "horrible" card and MP1 comes alive and bets again...button just calls and you call.

Now you come alive and bet the river.

I don't think a better hand is folding to that river bet by these players ever...in fact you are likely to get raised by MP1. If the A was ugly on the turn what makes it more appealing on the river?

I'm assuming you fear they'll check through with worse hands they would have otherwise called with, thus your bet. So the turn is horrible because you figure it kills the action or because MP1 just hit a better A? (neither of which seems like good reasoning) I think with your cold call its clear you are on at least a club or straight draw (if not slowplaying a made hand). DERB type players probably aren't overly concerned about you though as you probably would have shown aggression on the turn if you had a strong made hand and an opp to CR the 2 of them.

Very confusing play IMO on your part. Given your turn action, why not CR if you think you have the best hand...which is why you are betting the river because you want hands that would otherwise check through to call a bet. If you are betting in hopes of getting a better hand to fold, I think its a bad bet. If you are betting in fear of getting bluff/semi bluff raised out of the pot if MP1 bets and button raises...well that's a completely different dynamic to the hand but you said they are noticeably tighter on later streets so is your AJ any good then anyway? Is button creative enough to raise to protect his hand and push you off a better one on the river?

I don't understand why your cold call was horrible on the flop vs your cold call preflop. If it was a horrible flop cold call, it was a horrible preflop semi cold call.

I also don't understand the horrible turn card. You have a board with turned top pair and flopped nut draw...why did you call preflop again? You hit everything you were hoping to hit, no?