View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Who the best and worst tippers?? (For Dealers, but anyone is welco

[ QUOTE ]

The only reasons I can see why people tip dealers are therefore a) not to look cheap in front of the other players (social pressure); and/or b) empathy or pity (arising out of a concern because they realize that dealers rely heavily on tips, in which case that makes for a very interesting contrast - the cold-hearted poker player who'd bust his own grandmother if she got into a pot with him, yet feels compelled to toss a piece of each pot he wins to someone who agreed to work for X an hour on his own volition with the understanding that tips may or may not come).

Any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a tipping profession.

Why do you tip the bartender who gives you a PBR but not the cashier at the Dunkin Donuts who gives you your coffee?

Why do you tip the pizza delivery guy, but not the cable TV repairman?

The cardroom pays the dealer minimum wage, and the implicit understanding is that players' tips will bring the total compensation up to a respectable hourly wage.

Personally, I'd rather see the rake raised to $5/pot, give the dealers a good base pay, and eliminate dealer tipping. But as long as they're getting minimum wage, I toss a $1 on every pot I win.

I think it's a good question though, and one that should be able to be asked and discussed with idiots chiming in with "you're a cheapskate".