View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: near the bubble in the party 75k; SB vs. BB

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that checkraising the flop commits us to a showdown? i'm not sure if my stack is deep enough for that, although earlier in the tourney that would definitely have been my line.

When he called, and i still had no info on his hand, i wanted to keep the pot as small as possible, and just try to get to showdown without risking significant chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like committing to an expensive showdown when overcards are likely to come and he's shown strength by calling our definitive checkraise. I know that this transforms our hand essentially to 72o if we don't get a free showdown, but given the marginal nature of the post-flop situation, and given the bubble, I just want to take it right now or bail.

Given the way you played it, checking the turn, I favor a fold, preserving the chip position we already have and waiting for a better edge to exploit.

Betting the flop and then the turn costs roughly the same as as my checkraise option, but the c-r has the potential benefit of denying him a look at the turn, so long as we're pretty confident that he's going to throw in a continuation bet when checked to on the flop.

Playing later streets against a loose player, especially in the presense of overcards, is such a no-man's land that I just want to establish cost certainty early on.

Committing ourselves to checking the turn if we still have top pair seems kind of weird though, so I'm still thinking about this one.

But my main thing is that the position you found yourself in on this turn, as you played it, is exactly why I want to do something definitive early on.