View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 05:16 AM

Default FILM REVIEW: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (film not TV)

Ok, I have never seen the TV series, so this is written as a standalone without consideration to that - but I'd be interested to hear any opinions/comparisons between the film and TV show.

Buffy comes across as a very, very 80's film (and I was surprised it was made in 1992, after watching it), but a pretty fun one. The girls talk like they're from 'clueless', and the high school thing reminds of both 'Heathers' and 'Ginger Snaps' (Heathers is a compulsory 'to watch' if you haven't seen it, BTW). Are American high schools really like this? (I'm English, so I've not got a clue)

It's a fun film, and buffy does come across as a typical blonde young actress, interchangeable with dozens of others at the start of the film - but again, that doesn't really detract from the fun. However, she definitely moves up a league when we get to a dance at the end, and she's doing her kick-fu, badass vampire-killing stuff wearing a pretty nice white party dress, sometimes wearing a cool leather jacket over it. She looks positively beautiful at this point, and reminds me of a young Grace Kelly - she looks THAT good. I think the girls of OOT will probably think her male romantic lead is cute too, and might dig Ruger Hauer as the smooth Vampire King, but personally, they're not my type.

Apparently also, Pee-wee Herman is the king vampire's side kick, but I watched some scenes again, and I can't believe that's him!

It's a near-camp, teenage comedy-horror (but neither very horrific or very funny), and worth the 90 minutes to spare if you're at a loose end and the idea of ass-kicking, cute vampire-killers is appealling.

I'd give it a 2/5 usually (meaning okay for a single watch, if you've got time), but it earns a 1/2 for buffy getting so darn hot near the end.

OVERALL: 2 1/2 out of 5

You opinions of this film please? And also any opinions of this film vs the TV show?