View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: LO8: completing the SB

[ QUOTE ]
what type of hands should you complete in the small blind that you wouldnt limp on the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve - Interesting question.

Once you flop any hand, I think you'd rather be in position with it, but seeing the flop cheaply has some appeal with any marginal hand.

When you have the nuts, position doesn't seem as important as when you don't. Therefore, hands that often don't make the nuts seem more position dependent than hands that either give you a nut draw or miss the flop. (For example, for the most part, big pair hands either flop a set or they don't). Having position after you flop a set of kings doesn't seem as important as having position when it seems critical to know what your opponents will do before you act. (But, of course, you still like position, even with flopped top set).

However, even though some hands may be more position dependent than others, off-hand I can't think of any hand I'd play from the small blind (presumably for only half of a small bet) but wouldn't play from the button (presumably for a whole small bet).

[ QUOTE ]
Right now, hands that i would complete in the SB but not limp on the button are probably stuff like KKxx, QQxx, JT98. I think 23xx and maybe A4xx w/alittlesomething should go here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the hands you've mentioned, I think I'd rather have position with the 23XX and A4XX than with the others.

However, it matters what the XX is - and suitedness also matters.

For example, K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is quite a bit better as a starting hand than
K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I'd be more inclined to play 24KKd than 38KKn, from either the small blind or the button. However, I don't think I'd be any more inclined to play it from the small blind than from the button.

Just my opinion.

Buzz