View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Limit vs. No Limit?

[ QUOTE ]
The NL vs limit snobbery has really got me puzzled. I think a lot of this comes from people who don't really understand either game. They think that since you can lose your entire stack in NL, it is somehow a "manly" game. I play both limit and no-limit and you definitely see this at the tables as well - usually from the weak players. These players tend to whine about limit suckouts and being unable to protect your hand. The funny thing is, they don't really understand what it means to "protect your hand"; they think it means shoving all your chips in to induce folds. It's terribly uninformed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bravo. Well stated (notwithstanding the apparent confusion over the original citation).

FWIW I've tried to catalogue some of these "pros and cons" here, which might better be moved here. As always feel free to add your own content.

Incidentally, I'm feeling that i'm having some setbacks learning NLHE, mostly because one or two impulsive actions based on a false "read" can undo an hour of patient tight play. But learning to act less impulsively and to demand a sound rationale for my actions should help me become better at both limit and big-bet poker.