View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Putting Fish to the Flame. Harmless fun, or education?

Not only must you consider the effect of your words on the winning player, but you must also be aware of how your criticism affects your other opponents. You immediately flag yourself as a "thinking" player who knows at least a little bit about "strategy". Just because an opponent cracked your AA with 83o doesn't mean that she's thinking about how good she is for doing it. Most players who will play 83o are generally thinking, "I only have 2 cards and there's still 5 more to come, I can't fold because there's still so much that can happen!" By opening her mind up to the fact that maybe there's something wrong with it, there's a greater chance of her stumbling on to the idea of playing cards that have better potential to turn into good hands. This can easily mean that instead of playing 83o, she will now only play 83s. It's not a great improvement, but it is an improvement.

The next thing that I'd like to point out is that you simply aren't making it comfortable for her to play against you. These are your customers! Happy customers supply more money! Let EVERYONE at the table know that you are playing in good spirit! Fun games are always more profitable.