View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Wait, am I bluffing or value betting?

It was pretty obvious from the context of my post that I folded, but the real question is what line to take on the flop, and what line to take on other flops that you A) completely miss or B) hit pretty hard or C) kind of hit.

Here's my thoughts but I'd like to see other opinions.

---Preflop
With his smooth call I'm probably in trouble. He might have a hand like AJo or 77 but he's probably not looking for ways to get away on the flop, making it hard to coax him out with these stacks. Basically, he's not as ready as I'd like him to be to give up on this pot, so I have to tread carefully.

---Line 1
If the flop comes total rags, I'd probably check planning to c/r all in if he bets something fishy, or fold if I believe him. I feel like if I lead on a flop that obviously didn't help either of us, he'd get brave with all kinds of hands, overpairs or AJ or anything. Any bet that I make sets up the perfect situation for him to come over the top. But if I check I can rip the pot off AQ type hands or get a free card or something. Lots of possibilities, and no shame getting away if he makes a believable bet.

---Line 2
If the flop comes pretty big, say KJ8 or AJ5 or something, I make a solid lead (t700 ish) and fold to further agression. Theres enough hands out there for him to give me credit for that he'll probably toss hands that missed, but will jam and give me an easy fold when he's got something.

---Line 3
If the flop comes something pretty like T62, I make a slightly weak flop lead, say t600, planning to call a push. Like the raggedy flop, small pairs will certainly stick around, and sometimes he'll have an overcard hand but not believe me and see a perfect spot to push over the top. A normal t7-800 lead is fine but I like taking a little off the top here to make him a little curious. Minor detail though.

---Line 4
And finally is a flop like J94 two clubs (look familiar?). All of my other lines had been based on bluffing or playing for value, but here it's a little fuzzy. I *think* I'm playing for value but it gets pretty muddy sorting out when I'm ahead and behind. I liked the idea of a t450 bet to throw him off, since he can't just jam over the top. I expected a flat call there from a ton of hands that he could have, and I'd go from the turn. But when the 450 didn't shake him at all and he happily comes over the top for t1200, I'm grimacing as I toss it in the muck.

I love hands like this where check/fold and check/push and bet/fold and bet/call are all very valid lines. It's a total mess to sort out, but if you can do it there's a lot of hidden value to be found buried in the muck.

All comments/ideas welcome.

Everett