View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Trying to sell poker chips, having trouble

A few months ago, noticing that poker was booming and that chips were selling well on eBay and other online sites, I figured I'd try to sell some of my own. I scouted out a seller in China and bought 100 sets for about $30 each for the 500 sets and $50 each for the 1000 sets.

I had bought some things wholesale a few years ago, like cheap watches and cheap wallets, that required <$1000 investments for a couple hundred of each and sold for between 200% and 500% profit (the wallets were only about $1.50 and sold for $7 + overcharging on shipping).

The poker chips, though, have been a real disaster. Having never imported before (the other items were from USA wholesalers), I ran into lots of problems due to having no experience. I ran into extra shipping charges, extra customs charges, and lots of delays (like sending a personal check when they weren't accepted, not sending the bill of lading to the shipping company, etc.).

Anyway, now I've got 95 sets of poker chips in my garage -- I've sold 5 to friends and need to get rid of the other 95 ASAP. eBay prices are at about my breakeven point (probably losing a bit after shipping), so I'm probably going to put a bunch up there this weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of these? They're the basic composite 11.5g chips in a few different styles (dice, suited, vegas, and royal flush). They come with the case, decks, and dealer button, just like all the other ones on eBay.

Maybe I should try selling them in lots? Maybe there's somewhere else other than eBay to sell them? I've tried contacting some poker sites but have had no luck.

Thanks for any suggestions.