Thread: Justice Served
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Justice Served

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I think he is guilty and should be sentenced, but I think it is impossible to get a fair trial since his opponents and now judges seems to hate him (with good reason). He claims to have immunity due to Iraqi law, and I think a much better signal to give to dictators would be to grant him this immunity, but then prosecute him in th international court to show that national law/ nationally granted powers does not allow you to breach human rights. The latter would imply that Donald Rumsfeld should be prosecuted and convicted for Guantanamo though, so it won't probably be to popular within the occupation power.

[/ QUOTE ]

International tribunals (at least wimpy modern int'l tribunals) can't impose the death penalty.

What international crime do you think Rumsfeld is guilty of? Torture? He's not immune from prosecution for that under US law. Plus I'm sure there's been sufficient investigation of any allegations to take the case out of ICC jurisdiction, even if the US was a party to that flawed construct.