View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: What is the defense against the short stack startegy?

Well, if they are playing perfect SS strategy then you know thier exact range. This range is quite small. Be prepared to play just like them when it's the two of you in the pot.

I've been using this SS strategy as I transition from being a long-term winner at limit poker to a successful NL player. It's f'in brutal, I'll tell ya. The typical $25 NL players have no chance against it. I see and recognize other SS players (by the <10% VPIP and >8% PFR) and the best idea is to simply stay out of thier way.

You won't make much money off of someone playing this style, concentrate on getting your money from the poor players. Last night I started experimenting with getting overcalls from the loosies in the game when I held a hand I was willing to go against a SS player with. It was gold Jerry, GOLD. Instead of reraising to isolate with 25+bb I was trying to get worse hands to come along. Once the flop hit, the SS player predictably pushes the rest of his/her stack in and I get to make a decision whether or not to continue. Incredibly small sample size of 800 hands but it seems to be a viable strategy... Time will tell.

edit: I wouldn't bother stealing blinds in a loose small NL game anyway... Why risk 3BB or more when the players love to cold call? There's not enough risk:reward IMO. I can let the $0.35 go when I know a $20 pot is right around the corner. (Man they play poorly.)