Thread: "Sweet Melissa"
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: \"Sweet Melissa\"

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of sad when you see these artists or their publishing companies sell the rights to these songs just to make a buck. I like "CSI", but I don't like the fact I hear "Who Are You" when it starts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I understand your point, I was trying to make a different point.

"Who Are You" is a perfect song for CSI. It makes sense, forensics, identifying a body, etc.

"Lust For Life" is a song about heroin addiction. Unless the name of the cruise company is "Junkie Cruises, Inc.," I don't imagine it's really appropriate.

"Sweet Melissa" is just some dumb not-at-all-good song about some dumb broad, and couldn't possibly have anything to do with cellphones. This alone is not enough to get my nittish nature up. It's the fact that they so prominently feature the "...sweet Melissa" part as the sort of advertising punchline.

At least "Lust For Life" was just the stupid ad company not taking the time to read the lyrics.

For instance, I have no problem with Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" being used in those Cadillac ads because it's more about the music (and Plant's annoying wailing), so it makes sense.