View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Re: RESULTS (from the mouth of the villian)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The one scenario in which I think this river move makes sense is if John decided to play JJ this way, which while not inconceivable is still very improbable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I think that JJ is the only hand John plays this way that lays down the river. AZK got very lucky that this was what he had-I think a vast majority of the time John has better than 1 pair here.

[/ QUOTE ]
so this guy bets 1K into 3.7 w/ a set?
sounds like a world champ.

[/ QUOTE ]

If 1K is all he thinks he can get out of a guy, it doesn't seem to be that bad of a bet. Think of all the posts that said he should just call because his hand has showdown value. Now think about what they would say if John had potted the river.

Granted, John would need to think AZK was pretty weak. But given the lack of a turn raise on a draw heavy board, it's not difficult to make this read-John only read AZK as strong when he came over the top of the rive rbet. So a 1K bet would not be that bad of a value bet w/a set or two pair (and who knows-it might even induce an all-in bluff by missed diamonds).
Sometimes you just bet what you think your opponent can call-we forget this online where reads are difficult and we just go for the bigger bet and hope for the best but with reads it is far more defensible to underbet the pot with monsters.