View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Re: How smart are you?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I probably generalized about MENSA. But I believe many people are there becasue they do not feel successful enough. I do not know the exact details (I might be wrong on this one), but you can join MENSA if you score in the top 2% on at least one of several test. Now use binomial distribution to figure out not everybody is top 2% if they have several attempts with a 2% success rate.

Most people believe they are smarter than they actually are. For example look at this thread and the +130 IQ crowd (and not to mention +150 - I think the average IQ of profs at Oxford is 130). And many people in this thread guess or use internet and unsupervised tests to report their IQ, even tho only results of timed and supervised IQ tests are reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it very difficult to believe that the average IQ or professors at Oxford is 130, but that seems awfully hard to prove.

The only IQ tests that I really believe are the in depth ones I had done as a kid when they were trying to figure out what was "wrong" with me. Most of the other "geniuses" I know went through similar child hoods and schoolings as I.