View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Yeah, I turned Trips!

[ QUOTE ]
A solid, passive player raises with ______ on a QT2Q board?

[/ QUOTE ]

Three things about this hand before the turn:
1 - "Folded to button who limps"
2 - "Flop is QT2 with 2 diamonds"
3 - "I bet 60 and the button calls"

If hero is behind on the turn, button would be holding:
QA
QK
QJ
QT....(we'll call <T a potential split pot)
TT
.....it would stand to reason, button would open-raise AQ, TT (maybe KQ,22). so with a limp, a 'behind' hand would most likely be QJ.

Possilbe hands hero is ahead of (that would limp PF & flat call the flop bet):
2 diamonds
J9s (maybe)
ATo (probably raising PF though)

[it would be important to know if the Q was one of the diamonds on board. if not, we might also consider a loose PF limp with Q<T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s]

The most puzzling thing for me is the flat call on the 4/5 flop bet. If we consider QJ the most likely 'behind' hand, wouldn't button raise the flop (ditto for KQ,22)? This is especially true with SB still to act, who is now being layed better than 3-1 as well. The call makes a flush draw, straight draw, or AT much more likely IMO.

- button has just under t1000 chips to the turn
- button's raise is close to 1/2 his stack
- hero slows down just a tad on the turn (3.5/5)

I'm wondering if maybe button thought hero's turn bet was too weak for a Q (even though hero's opponent is not being given odds to chase the draw). In button's mind, hero's flop bet could have also been a T or two diamonds....hero's turn bet could be interpreted as a significant, but last 'stab' at the pot.

Asking myself this question: " IF button sniffed out any weakness from the blind leader, and made a move on this pot (with a draw), what would he raise?"

The "1/2 his stack" raise is the amount that stops hero in his tracks. It's right between the minraise-i-have-a-monster-please-call, and a 'push in the dark'. His MAJOR representation is a little deceiving, as he can still move off the hand w/t500 chips (as opposed to the blind push). And he DOESN'T want to get called.

His raise is the perfect amount IMO - drawing to the flush or maybe ATo, where either one could stlil pick him up the pot with a cheap showdown (if/when hero calls the turn raise).