View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: RESULT

Whether it is right or wrong to sit with strong players depends on a few things. Number one, who else is at the table. If there are two huge fish, two solid players and three unknowns, clearly the table is a good one. Chances are the good players won't tangle much, they'll mainly take turns gutting the fish. On the other hand, a table with two good players, three competent regulars you may have a small edge over and two unknowns would be likely to be a bad spot.

Number two: what are your goals? If it's worth losing a bit (or making less) in exchange for learning and enjoying the game more, then by all means sit with good players. I'm not being sarcastic here -- many players really do enjoy trying to beat strong opponents both because it helps them improve and because it's more interesting.

I've played head up and short 2-4 with many good players (and some who are fish in full games but tough head up). There's one or two I think are better than me. I have been avoiding this lately because I felt like a fool wasting time battling to make a small profit or hold to a small loss when I am crushing weaker opponents in full or short games. But I'm sure I'll take on a couple of the toughies again when the mood hits (or the bankroll and/or ego get overly inflated).