View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Comments on Hand

Any comments or suggestions on if I played this hand correctly. I'm a new player, so I'm trying different things in an effort to learn what I can get away with.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

MP1 (t1450)
MP2 (t1675)
MP3 (t30)
CO (t2725)
Button (t1325)
SB (t1960)
Hero (t1460)
UTG (t1015)
UTG+1 (t1860)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, CO calls t90, SB calls t90.

Flop: (t360) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, CO folds, SB calls t300.

Turn: (t960) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t960) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t960

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Qs 4s (one pair, queens).
Hero has Js As (high card, ace).
Outcome: SB wins t960. </font>

I felt with the pre-flop bet I could take down the pot, but didn't really like getting two callers. After the flop, I had a lot of outs, and might already have been ahead, so I bet fairly strong because of 2 players still in. I would have been happy to take the pot right here.

Once I got called by SB on my post-flop bet, I felt that SB must have caught at least a piece of the flop. I would have never guessed he was drawing to the flush based on the pot odds I gave him. Decided to take the free card on the turn and river to try and catch the flush (or an A) as I felt I was beat at this point based on how the hand had played out.

I thought about trying to steal on the river, but thought I would only get called if I was beat.

Is my thinking ok on this hand? Thanks in advance, I've learned a lot from this forum in only a few weeks.

John