Thread: The Frogs
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Le Heil Hitler

I really don't know much about Le Pen, Cyrus, but I did appreciate the column by Taki.

Of course, what better way is there to stifle discourse and debate, than by hurling accusations of racism and fascism? I thought it particularly telling that Taki related how processions of schoolchildren had been organized to march calling for Le Pen's death. Somehow, even if Le Pen is all you say, it seems to me he isn't the only "fascist" in France--or elsewhere. Those who would squelch free speech and debate (as Le Pen was effectively squelched in France) seem to me at least as guilty of such things.

Is it possible that Le Pen might actually have a point, and that the cumulative effect of years of unbridled immigration of poor unskilled North Africans and Algerians is actually harming the country? Only those with completely pre-closed minds would dismiss the possibility out of hand, or refuse to entertain debate upon the subject. And that, according to Taki, is exactly what has happened to Le Pen, as the elite statists "shouted him down."

Maybe Le Pen is indeed a racist and a fascist; I don't know. But his calling for a lessening of such immigration is just common sense in my opinion--something that seems sorely lacking nowadays, especially amongst the insulated and politically correct elites that run Europe.

And besides, Taki sure knows how to write a column.

P.S. to Zeno,

Sorry if this has diverged from the light intent of the thread--I just thought you'd like some of Taki's columns, and your query about French cars burning made the column seem a rather appropriate fit (at least in that regard, if not in all regards).