View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Now I know what its like to play against me

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet 1/2 the pot after the turn if my flop bet is called. You don't want to give a free ride to flush draws, or Ax, Qx, Jx hands to outdraw you.

My question is: What do you do if you are the first to act after flop? Do you still bet 2/3 pot after flop if you are first to act?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against the same player? Yes, probably somewhere in that vicinity, maybe a little more - obviously there is a lot of "feel" involved in deciding these bets, and that can only be gained from playing at the table for a while . But I can tell you one thing - I'm not going to start off showing weakness just because an overcard hits, and I'm certainly not giving him a free shot at any draw (be it A or club). And if I get raised a decent amount, then once again I'll probably be folding.

A lot of people have discussed moving in on a check/raise or on the turn, just because the opponent is aggressive - but aggressive doesn't necessarily make him a maniac; he could have a hand. I don't think this is a good position to risk your whole tournament - you certainly have a deep enough stack to be able to lay down 1010 to heavy betting on a solid overcard, and find a better spot. Also, you have to keep in mind - sometimes it's good to show an opponent you are capable of laying a big one down. It makes it easier for them to get caught in the trap you set further on down the road.