View Single Post
Old 07-24-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Live 2/5 Pair + Straight Flush Draw.

[ QUOTE ]
If youre calling 230 to win 630 you have correct odds against a set. You only have 10 outs vs a made 5 high straight. A made 6 high straight leaves you with just about correct odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This gets exactly at the thing I don't understand. I'm not calling 230, I'm calling 100 and betting the last 130 myself. If I am sure he's going to call, I only want to raise when that last 130 is going in against a hand I am favored against. But I am .368 v 44, .383 v 22, .423 v A5, .394 v. 65 (slightly worse against straight if he holds a spade), and a slight favorite against 2 pair (.51 to .55 depending on whether he has a 3).

I understand the basic principle of getting it all-in with two cards to come to avoid having to deal with a blank turn and to guarantee getting paid when you hit. But it seems that here I am making a large bet (the 130) as an underdog. Calling doesn't seem great either, since I may or may not be getting immediate odds and he's likely to bet a blank turn. Folding seems wrong too.

If someone explains to me why my thinking is flawed, I'll listen. I don't post very many hands because I don't play enough that seem interesting enough. This was a hand where I didn't know what to do at the time, think I probably made the wrong play, and I think I could learn from thinking about it and hearing from other players. I thought that was what the forum was here for.