View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Playing AK from Early Position

[ QUOTE ]
If you always raise AK and are burying your oppents why do you want to change to a strategy that is designed to cost you bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because something that is optimal 90% of the time may not be optimal 100% of the time.

I think people (including myself) have been simply assuming it is always right to raise from UTG with AK because it's a high value hand and because all the books say you should.

I am just questioning whether it's always right and want to hear the argument for always doing it because on some tables you'll often find yourself heads up, behind, and only hit the flop about 1/3.

If you are 1/3 to hit the flop, you are heads up and behind, putting in 1 extra bet pre flop against for one extra bet from your opponent doesn't sound so great to me.

The downside of letting extra players in is obvious. but like I said before many of those extra hands will be AJ, AQ, AT, KJ, KQ etc... Those hands will hit the flop when you do and go all the way because they have no idea you have AK because you limped.

I not saying you should limp!!!!

I'm saying it may not be as obvious as everything thinks. It may be worthy of some more thought.