View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 09:45 PM

Default I need help understanding this mindset

This post is in regards to Celine Dion's comments on Larry King Live. It is not meant to slam liberals or to be a discussion on whether or not the government is doing a decent job responding to this catastrophe. I just really do not understand this comment at all, and I hope somebody can give me a reasonable explanation as to why anybody could think in this manner, because so far, my mind only comes up with Chicken Little type arguments. Here is the statement in question:

"Oh, they're stealing 20 pair of jeans or they're stealing television sets. Who cares? They're not going to go too far with it. Maybe those people are so poor, some of the people who do that they're so poor they've never touched anything in their lives. Let them touch those things for once,"

I can't possibly imagine that any logical person can think this way. Is she trying to validate looting? Or is she just commenting on human nature. Any logical arguments or discussion would be appreciated, but I really think that the question of the governments response has been beat to death, so I'd rather this thread be about the above quote alone.

Thank you,
-JOTR