View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Real life moral dilemna

This is a true story, I forgot where I heard it but even if I'm making it up it's gotta be true. You'll see what I mean.

Guy dates crazy chick and long story short she gets a restraining order against him whereby if he talks to her or is around her he is defacto guilty of a crime.

Remember, she is mentally ill.

She calls him up one night and tells him she is committing suicide and he has to come over right away and save her.

Remember, he has already committed a crime just by talking to her, just by picking up the phone. You probably don't think that is true, but in some jurisdictions it is.

So whether he tries to save her by going to her house, or by calling the police, he will either be admitting to a crime by calling the police or breaking the restraining order further by going to her house.

Also realize that since she is mentally ill there is a very good chance she may in fact kill herself.

Also note that since she is mentally ill there is a very good chance she is setting the guy up for a trip to jail.

Also note that the police and prosecutors don't care about anything other than the literal interpretation of the court order and will prosecute the guy to the full extent of the law no matter what the circumstances.

Also note for the purposes of this discussion that you cannot infer guilt of any sort on the part of the guy since restraining orders are handed out with absolutely no burden of proof of any kind in many jurisdictions.

Also note that any indirect contact, for example calling one of her friends or family, is also a violation of the court order.

Also note that at this point the only sure way the guy has of staying out of jail is for her to die, since she may wake up tomorrow and decide to call the police and report a contact, for which he has no defense, whether her report is true or not.