View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Re: \"Playing Poker\": Theory and Practice

my hypothesis is that the people most affected by deranged's gap between theory and practice are those who multitable all the time. it's hard to make good decisions multitabling. i multitabled a lot at the lower limits and have done so a bit in the mid-limits trying to build bankroll. but i also do a lot of 1-tabling and 2-tabling. i find my game improves from playing 1 table significantly more than 2 tables and exponentially more than 3 or 4 tables. i get better reads and incorporate betting pattern reads into my decision-making if i am just playing a single table. sometimes i can have one or two of the live ones down like a book (though i probably overestimate that a bit...since i usually only seem to have the fish down when i am running good)

i think that playing one table for a prolonged period of time is vastly underrated on these boards. basically the cut in your current hourly rate has the potential to be completely dwarfed by an increase in your future hourly rates. and besides, it really is more fun to play one table well than to make slightly more going through the motions at four tables.

that's just my opinion.