View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Disproportionate # of 6th place finishes

I tried to go in to analyze mode and fired up the hand replayer for a bunch of hand historues.

Usually its pretty hard to knock me out before 6th. When it does happen, its when someone outdraws me after I managed to get all chips in play, with a healthy edge, or a Bad Beat, or a tempting pot with amazing pot-odds that I just couldnt resist, and of-course sometimes a bad CALL

Anyway move on to level 3,4,5 with 5,6,7,8 players left.

It seems as if Level 3 nd 4 are special in that they uniquely make 7 card poker very hard to play. Not enough bets, or just enough bets, make life difficicult

Telltale signs of my 6th place finishes.

Continuation bets in level 3 and 4 after you miss a flop.
Tempting small pots that you take a stab at, with a semi-pot size bet.
Accepting a coinflip situation with a smaller stack, thinking,"It wont jeopardize my survival"
etc

Itts already late level 4, almost level 5 now someltimes late 3 in the 30+3z

Well these were not knockout blows, but knockdown blows. So you say to yourself, "what the hell. This isnt going to work." and if I might add, some 2+2ers would also say, "My entire strategy is based on the premise of stealing. Now if I dont have a stack that can inflict damage, how can I steal with success"

So I get up and come out swinging.
Left, Right any which way, when you see a hand that has double or nothing potential.

And so it does happen.

So are these continuation bets bad. Should I stop making these stabs at the pot. Should I go into super tight mode. I doubt one can ever tell, without trying it differently.
I like my stats at the higher end of the spectrum, and if this tower at 6th, is what keeping them there, I'm pretty pleased about it. But what if its keeping me from improving that RoI. Iwish there were easy answers.

The only shocking thing for me was that its not like a graual hump around 5,6,7. Its just one of those monument vall;ey rocks, that stands out there. 6 is the number, not a lil 5 and a lil 7, but 6.

Maybe its just the statistical nature of our collective playing strategies.

A bond of brotherhood, if you may [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ok that was overboard.

As for, if it is a leak: I dont know. I think it might be a positive thing. You waste as little time as possible. Take a swing. It works and you are in good stead to win by points. You miss and the right uppercut sends you crashing to the floor of the ring. 1,2,3,4..10 and the light fades out
"Double or Nething"