View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Poker Pros - Do they really make it? Edit

[ QUOTE ]

Do you know what the small percentage of people who make 6 figures consistently in any job is? It's pretty small.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is small, but more than a hanful. As of 2000, there were 12,972,529 households in America with family income higher than $100,000. Granted, the number of individuals making $100,000 is smaller, since that's family income, but it's still a decent amount. It works out to be about 12-13% of households.

[ QUOTE ]

Depending on your expenses and monthly nut, $30-50k a year can be a good living.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, that depending on where you live, that this can make for a decent living. But as I said, I am not asking about poker pros who survive, or do alright. I am curious about the people who really make it and do a lot better for themselves than they would otherwise.

For example, almost anybody with a college degree can get a job that pays better than 30,000 if they live in a metropolitan area. And oftentimes, one can get a job that pays even better with only partial college or high school employment. For example, I believe a New York City police officer starts around $40,000 a year, but there is room for improvement, plus they receive pretty good benefits. Therefore, as I said, that $40,000 is worth a LOT more than $40,000 as a poker pro, since you have to pay health expenses, and must take care of retirement yourself.