View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Either I can\'t adjust my play or i\'m cursed, you tell me (long)

[ QUOTE ]
Am I making a mistake playing super tight?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I'm not sure what your bankroll is, but in a game like this, you need to be able to get in there and "gamble" with them. The key is, you "gamble" with just a little bit better hands that what you're opponents are likely to hold.

I'd approach it like this: your first 100$ buy-in you wait for something that is likely to be a favorite (or that just has more than its share of equity) in a big multi-way pot, and then you try and get as much action as you can. This doesn't have to mean AA (though obviously that'll do), but it doesn't mean 77 either. In fact, smaller pairs aren't going to be worth much in this game until you've built your stack to about 400 or more. So early on, you want hands like AJs, KQs, JTs, and obviously big pairs. If you can get heads up you might want to gamble with hands like 88 and 99, but if you are going to be facing multiple opponents you almost always need a set to win with these hands, and you just aren't going to get the implied odds to play for sets with only 100 bucks.

Try and rethink your approach to this game. If you have the bankroll, go into it looking to have fun and make sure everyone knows that's what you're doing. Gamble with these types of hands early and it is likely you'll double or triple up within your first 2 or 3 buy-ins. Once you start to get a bigger stack, your play will shift back towards playing for sets, though you should stil take gambles with hands like AK against short stacks. Your goal is to build a big stack so that you can be selective pre-flop and so that your smaller pairs will now have implied odds to flop big.