View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Sharing Wireless

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I would recommend against sharing. For the reasons already mentioned by the others here (99.99% likely against your T&C with the ISP, liability issues, etc) but also for the fact of how did he know you had wireless in the 1st place? Did you invite him in once and he saw your router on the desk or does he already know about the wireless network because it came up on his PC when he turned it on? If it's the first then not too scary but if it's the second... has he already used the connection and realized you may have looked at the DHCP log and saw a new IP so he decided to "ask" to use it? All kinds of other issues to think about as well. How well secured are the other machines on the network? In addition to running a packet sniffer to read your traffic he could also break into the systems given enough time and he'd have plenty of it. Why does he "need" internet connectivity that he's not willing to pay full price for his own and not have to share.

Okay so I paint an ugly paranoid picture, it's what I have to do every day. But the facts are, unless you know and trust the guy you are opening yourself and the others in your network (i'm assuming they're roomates) to indetity theft, bandwidth hogging, viruses, etc. Whether you decide to allow it or not make sure that you secure your router. Go here:

[/ QUOTE ]

He said he was looking for some wireless to use, and saw TheDude (the name of ours), and was wondering if it was ours. I should hav ejust said no, but I said yes. Then that's when he asked. He said he tried all the "tricks of the trade" to try to get into it, but he couldn't. That worries me a lot that he knows this stuff.

My computer is pretty well protected since I have somewhat of an idea of what I'm doing when I'm on the internet, but a couple of my roommates don't know [censored] when it comes to computers.

My computer is probably safe, and the internet is not under my name. It's under my other roommates name, so I think I'd be okay with it. I just want to make sure my roommate know the possibilities of what could happen. I'll check out the links you guys have provided me (thank you very much), and I guess it's up to my roommates.