View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Aussie Millions --> San Fran -> NZ -> Australia Trip Help

If you want to do the “whirlwind tour” consider a Qantas Airpass. I think you have to purchase these before you leave the states. There are several tour packages that you can get that are great bargains, but again you have to buy them before you leave the US.

When we were in Sydney we stayed in the Shangri-La Hotel, located in the Rocks – great view and great service. Plus you can walk down to the Circular Quay where all the ferries, trains and busses leave from. If you stay in Sydney, stay in the Rocks district. Again I believe you can get some great hotel deals but you have to book them here. Skip the fancy restaurants and hit the little “hotels” (bars) great cheap food. Suck down a few Crown Lagers.

As far as the Great Barrier Reef goes, it’s a long way from Sydney – you really need to go to Cairns or Port Douglas if you want to go to the GBR. Cairns is about as far from Sydney as LA is from Seattle, So it’s going to take you a full day up and a full day back and the reef can only be reached by a looong boat ride so it would eat up about 3-4 days of your 9.

If you really want to go up north to FNQ I suggest a flight into Carnes and a short drive to Port Douglas. You can go to the Daintree rainforest and the beach.

In Sydney don’t miss the zoo and the aquarium, both just short ferry rides from the Quay