View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 10:41 AM

Default Mark and Greg- last question

Mark, I did understand that I was mistaken in you pushing blind.

Here's the question that I still want to ask (that may have been answered and I missed it): Given the situation that you have two players immediately to your left that will fold most hands if you push, you would push with anything since you expect around a 75% chance or so of both folding.

Now, does adding a third person (the new BB, if you move to the cutoff on the next hand) cut down your chance of stealing so much that it's better to push on the button with 72 or 86 (granted, the hands have a fair spread between them in value) than it would be to wait one hand, give up $100 ante and hope for a better hand? I'm assumimg that there is no magic in the fact that the two survivalists are in the blinds currently, when you push on the button.

In Fossilman's words, is waiting a greater EV play than pushing now, or isn't it? You're more likely to get a hand in the cutoff that's higher than your current hand (I believe 86 and lower falls below the median point, am I wrong?) and Mark didn't say anything about the possibility of making a move then.

Sorry to belabour this, but this instinctively didn't seem like a +EV move, given the dozen or so players left to overcome even if you are successful (vs. busting out on the button and having no EV). But I'm not a tournament pro, so I may be playing way too tightly here.

Thanks for the insights.