View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: PLO8: weak-tight or prudent?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

ShortStack ($13.45)
CO ($70.60)
SB ($101.15)
Hero ($103.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, ShortStack calls $1, MP1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($5) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">ShortStack raises to $12.45 and is all-in</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls $12.45, SB calls $10.45, Hero calls $1.70.

Turn: ($54.80) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $52.1</font>, Hero folds...

A great flop for my hand obviously, and I was happy to raise the max when SB bet into me. On the turn, I figured that the 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] must have helped SB's hand likely giving him a straight. If so, I'm drawing very thin on the high side leaving me with just a low draw to which I'm concerned about getting quartered by CO. I felt squeezed being in the middle and threw my hand away. I've just recently moved up to the $100 buy-in games, and I fear I may be playing scared when the bets get large. Was folding a weak play that I talked myself into out of fear, or a smart discretionary move?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm relatively new to PLO8, but to me that's not a "great" flop. Good, but not great.

You have a counterfeitable draw to the low, and top and bottom pair (ie fools gold) and a longshot backdoor flush draw on a board with a 2 flush and 2 straight against you.

A great flop would have been Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] giving you nut flush draw, nut low draw with at least some backup (6), top pair top kicker, and a straight draw.

The best flop probably wouldn't produce any action, though:

3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

giving you nut low and nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're joking. I had that self same flop, same hand, got a [censored] 6th. Ace through five steel wheel, 1/6th